In Rwanda we face problem of weather and Climate changes. This revolution causes vegetables to be pushed the high cost of vegetables upwards and sometimes not available to the market. The resultant of this is that more people are going to be vegetables insecure. The answer to the demand of vegetables cannot be met by the green revolution as well as rain fed agriculture. This vegetables insecure group needs to face the current environmental and health challenges by identifying ways to better align the smart irrigation system which help us to irrigate a kitchen garden in order to increase vegetables in all seasons while in dry seasons or in rain fed agriculture seasons. Smart Irrigated Akarima is perhaps the only available ecological space available to the citizens to meet their economic needs in everyday life. It depends on the gardeners for maintenance and are spaces made meaningful by the actions of people during the course of their every-day lives. They are spaces where the gains from social capital, physical and symbolic arrangement of items of private living space are aggregated. Smart irrigated Akarima is an integrated system which comprises the family house, a recreational area and a garden producing a variety of foods including vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants for home consumption or sale. Smart irrigated Akarima have been found to play an important role in improving food security for the resource of poor rural or urban households in developing country to avoid malnutrition. Specifically we are solving the problem of:
• Rain water from House roof which destroy environment and some people lost their life because of heavy rain water not haversted or stored.
• People spend their money buying vegetables which is expensive when we are in dry season
• Bad management of home space compound
• When people want to cultivate vegetables at home it can be done only in rainfall season only because of high cost of water in dry season
We are bringing the solution to the community as they will be able:
• To cultivate enough vegetables on small space at home and it will help people to fight malnutrition
• To haverst water from roof in a big tank or underground tank in a way of fighting against house destruction and environment destruction in general
• To use water stored in tank in automatic irrigation and it will help people to have vegetables in all seasons of the year
• In dry season, water bills seem to be expensive but for those who are using my irrigation system, they save money and time because they irrigate vegetable with collected water and they don’t need time as it is done automatically.
• We use small space to cultivate vegetables garden to help people to manage home space as on a 4m to 4m space can be used to implement the system. Materials used to make smart irrigated akarima I can classify materials used to cultivate SIA in three categories as:
1. Water Haverst and Plumbing system
• Pipes (PVC and metalic)
• Drip and Sprinkler irrigation system pipes
2. Electrical and electronic devices
• Solar panel
• Junction box
• Circuit breakers
• Soil Moisture sensor
3. Kitchen Garden Template Construction materials
• Woods pieces
• Organic fertilizer
Season available in Rwanda and Types vegetables suited for plantation Rwanda has four climatic seasons during which the long rainy (March-April-May) and short rainy (September-October-November) seasons alternate with long dry (June-July-August) and short dry seasons (December-January-February). Season long rainy: French Beans, chilli pepper, carrots, African eggplant, water melon, onions, tomato, pumpkin and nightshade,….. Season short rainy: Tomatoes, amaranthus, spider plant,……. Season long dry: Onions, Laitue Batavia, Red Creole, Beetroot, Cabbage ……. Season short dry: Tomatoes, amaranthus, spider plant, French Beans,…….
CHAIN IMPACTS OF THE PROJECT
The Smart Irrigated Akarima Project has more impacts to the Community as well as Social impact, Economic and Environmental Impact.
Social Impact: Several reports have shown that adequate intake of vegetables form an important part of a healthy diet and low vegetable intake constitute a risk factor for chronic diseases such as cancer, coronary heart disease,stroke and cataract formation. Scientific evidence indicates that frequent consumption vegetables can prevent oesophageal, stomach, pancreatic, bladder and cervical cancers and that a diet high in vegetables could prevent 20% of most types of cancers. Vegetables play an important role in human nutrition and health, particularly as sources of vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, pyridoxine, folic acid, minerals and dietary fibre And this prevent Malnutrition and related deseases like Kwashiorkor, Marasmus, and Anemia.
As most of people uses around 0.5 USD per day for shopping vegetables at home, This indicates that if they have this Smart irrigated Akarima at Home, the will save up to $200 USD Per Year. This contribute to the economic growth of our nation. Environmental Impact Having a Smart irrigated Akarima system at home enables people to collect water from the house roof and use it in their everyday lives such as washing clothes and Cleaning House. It enables people to prevent from Disasters caused by rainfall water like House destruction from uncollected water. It enables also people at home to use the solar energy like public lighting of their house compounds and remain in a clean, freshier and smart environment.
Households Families Cost of vegetables is very high in dry season so for saving that money they have choose my system because it helped them to save around 200 USD by year that explain that is affordable That amount of money can start to implement small business in rural area Boarding Schools In many boarding schools they have useless space , many building but they spend much money for buying vegetables by using SIA (smart irrigated akarima ) they can save around 15 to 30 % of expenses for nutrition by storing water from schools buildings and installation of solar system for avoid electrical energy cost Hotels and Restaurants Hotel and restaurant also have building and space that
• can help them to benefit from SIA that form of kitchen garden can be made in smart design which is form of letters , number or name of hotel the chosen form increase good appearance and beautification , also enough vegetable in all season
• they can satisfy need of client who need fresh vegetable and the save time and money for transport spent for buying it at market
• the can save money they spend for maintain vegetable in fridge
IDP Model Village
In Rwanda we have model village where government build for vulnerable families and buy tanks for collecting water so they can use that collected water to made SIR it is cheapest if we compare with traditional kitchen garden as they are poor by saving expenses for buying vegetables In one year they can start small business for each family Health Centers In Rwanda we have more than 500 health centers each health center required to teach parents who have children under five year about nutrition especially who have children face problems of malnutrition. So it is difficult to find fruits and vegetables using rain fed agriculture, So It is easier and appropriate to choose Smart Irrigated Akarima for having access to vegetables easily and that budget saved can be used to buy milk for the children
To eradicate hunger in Community
To prevent malnutrition in poor families
To make the availability of vegetables in all seasons
To provide best quality services about irrigation
To provide technical skills and technical assistance
To develop technological problem solutions in Community
To promote zero hunger sustainable development goals
To become a recognized project in Rwanda, East Africa and Worldwide.
Skills – Speed – Sustainable
Our VALUE (Ethical and Moral Value)
• Integrity (We are exercising good judgment in our professional practice)
• Honesty withTruthfulness
• Fidelity (Faithfulness to clients)
• Charity and Kindness
• Eradic hunger
• Respect to Authority
• Self-Discipline including acting with reasonable restraint